Guides and Tutorials
STEP 1: Modality: Will you run a workshop for patrons/partners or build something yourself? Pick your modality. Read about how workshops can go. Then turn to tactics and tools:
|1. Imagine what’s possible: Examples of successful games. |
2. Narrative: Planning with post-its for a branching story (animated). Aim for Minimum Viable Joy (MVJ)!
3. Tactics for engagement and recruiting: QR code inspirations and mini-tactics to boost engagement
4. Roles: Team formation and balancing responsibilities, including with Hive Mechanic
5. How to playtest your activity or story
6. Advanced: Pick your Technology: Activities to “Bake Your Idea” in Three Steps. This thought exercise will help focus your idea, and turn it from good to great for our particular tools and the power of playful engagement.
7. Partnerships for new projects: Tips for Starting the Conversation, Planning, and Sustainability (coming soon!)
|(a) What does the editor look like? See sample images and a quick tutorial|
(b) Basic certification and short video tutorials for using Hive Mechanic — including for changing text, adding cards, using phone numbers
(c) Quick reference: screenshot annotations for the interface
(d) Power tools and sample code for Hive Mechanic: using the power template; or see power snippets (to come).
(e) Advanced examples: using the weather to choose your own adventure (and 3rd party services/APIs)
(e) Storytelling Box component assembly and fabrication ideas (evolving!). See also: minimal creation model (coming soon!).
Other Available Tutorials
Tips and Common Fixes (new page in tools/skills)
- I created a card that somehow referenced itself and couldn’t get out of the loop
- Auto-save? [tell them how to
- Missing a card that you made? How to find it…
- Are you suddenly not getting a response from your game? How to fix it…
- Is your game responding with the first message + the “unknown keyword” message? How to fix it…
Image won’t send?
- Images sent through Hive must be less than a certain size – 5 MB specifically – due to a file size cap on Twilio. Make sure to deliberate about the image and gif file sizes you choose.